Latest Posts

Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë

By 04:47:00

Paperback, Collins Classics, 356 pages
Published January 4th 2010 by Harper Press 
(First published 1847) 
Summary: " Set on the bleak moors of Yorkshire, Lockwood is forced to seek shelter at Wuthering Heights, the home of his new landlord, Heathcliff. The intense and wildly passionate Heathcliff tells the story of his life, his all-consuming love for Catherine Earnshaw and the doomed outcome of that relationship, leading to his revenge"


“Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!” 

Wurthering Heights is considered one of the most unique gothic novels. It is valid, sincere, and poetic. The novel examines the themes of fear, jealousy, anger and hate- It is thereby not a love story. Emily Bronte wants to show us through this prose fiction the tragic experience of life and not a mere imitation of what's real; we live in a world of constant conflicts. 

Reading this book was an irritating experience for me. I hated all characters, especially Joseph with his old Yorkshire dialect, but even the narrator Nelly Dean. However I did like the second part of the book, in which we are introduced to the little Cathy; her thoughts, insecurities, obsessions, and sufferings.

Do not read this book if you're depressed or sad. Don't say I didn't warn you.
rate on goodreads :
★★★★☆

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires