Latest Posts

The Metamorphosis - Kafka (Review by Fares)

By 17:16:00

“I cannot make you understand. I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me. I cannot even explain it to myself.” 
                                                                                                                    
The book starts with an unusual , and a rather disturbing, event. There's some ludicrous humor at the beginning. Samsa wakes up one day to discover that he's been transformed into a giant insect. I feel like there are hidden meanings that are beyond my grasp. I don't think this book critiques capitalism and the exploitation of workers. This book rather shows the struggle of human existence; Samsa has devoted his whole life to his career in order to support his family; the family that abandons him and wishes his death after this abrupt change. His family alienates him and leaves him locked up in a room pretending that he does not exist. The story shows how changes that come to our lives may alienate us from our closest people; Samsa gets used to his body transformation whilst his family fails to see that at the core he is still the same. This makes us question the concept of identity; we are what we look like; we are not our thoughts and feelings. Hence it is the appearance that matters the most in the modern day society; which is obsessed with maintaining the status quo. 
                                                              
The book makes me wonder; how would people treat me... if I become facially disfigured, or worse, mentally disabled, due to an accident? How many friends would stay by my side? and how would my family treat me had I had a different faith, gender, or race? 

THE METAMORPHOSIS is said to be one of the most important works of the 20th century. It is indeed an unusual book and a great classic that I recommend to all fans of sci-fi.

Rating : ★★★☆


You Might Also Like

0 commentaires