Latest Posts

The Portrait of Mr. W. H. - Oscar Wilde (Review by Fares)

By 13:47:00

“It is always a silly thing to give advice, but to give good advice is absolutely fatal.”
                                                                                                 
A lovely story through which Oscar Wilde presents a theory about the identity of Mr. W.H. to whom Shakespear wrote most of his poems (“the fair youth”). 
At first I wasn’t very interested in this book and found it rather boring due to the reason that I am not very interested to know the identity of Mr. W.H. But by the second chapter I started to like this book. The witticism of Oscar Wilde can be sensed throughout this essay and it’s just amazing. 
I believe that Oscar Wilde chose to present his theory in a form of a fiction because he didn’t have enough evidence to prove it; and it is quite clear from the last few paragraphs, that he’s passing this theory to the other generations to further investigate it, may be because he genuinely “believes in Willie Hughes”. 
I especially enjoyed reading the last part of the book, which leaves us with more questions than answers.

The Portrait of Mr. W.H. is absolutely not my favourite book by Wilde, but I recommend it to people who are more interested in Shakespeare.

rate on goodreads :
★★☆☆

You Might Also Like

0 commentaires